Open Access Membership
SpringerOpen is committed to providing immediate and free access to all the research they publish. To meet the cost of publishing, authors who publish in our open access journals are asked to pay an article-processing charge (APC) per published paper. To remove this burden from the individual authors, institutions can join our Membership Program.
The Membership Program enables academic and research institutions, societies, groups, funders and corporations to actively support open access in scholarly publishing, and help ensure the most widespread dissemination of the research published by their investigators or members
Together with our partner BioMed Central, we offer different types of Membership, tailored to our different types of customers:
- Shared Support Membership NEW
We are delighted to announce the launch of our Shared Support Membership package. This pioneering new model offers a manageable cost-effective alternative for both the institution and author. Shared Support Membership works by the institution and author splitting the article processing charge equally. Similar to our Prepay package, Shared Support Members are entitled to concessions. The higher the amount paid in advance, the greater the loyalty discount given on each APC.
- Prepay Membership is an advanced payment system whereby customers pay upfront for articles published by their authorised users to be processed and published. Upon publication, the full Article Processing Charge for the journal in question, minus the discount that applies, will be deducted from the account. The higher the amount paid in advance, the greater the discount given.
- Supporter Membership
Supporter Members pay a flat rate annual Membership fee based on the number of science and medical researchers and graduate students at their institution. Members of the institution are then given a 15% discount on the Article Processing Charge (APC) when publishing in our journals.
If you and your organization want to see a change in the way that research is published and disseminated, and wish to be a part of that change, you should seriously consider becoming a Member.
What are the benefits of Membership?
Membership status removes the administrative burden, from individual authors, of having to pay the full APC directly each time one of their articles is accepted for publication. The convenience for researchers of not having to pay the full article-processing charges directly.
Membership offers a cost-effective solution for organizations and their researchers when publishing in our range of open access journals. The different types of Membership offer various solutions to ensure organizations benefit from the most suitable and cost-effective pricing plan to fit with their requirements and budgets.
Members receive their own customized webpage with the following features:
- Branding with your institution's own logo and link to your homepage
- A list of articles generated at the institution and published in our journals
- Title included in all relevant searches on the SpringerOpen websites
- Linking of these titles to the full text of the article
Receive periodic news and updates relating to SpringerOpen.