We are pleased to introduce the World Journal of Surgery Collection, Advancing Global Surgery, now accepting submissions.
In our rapidly evolving global healthcare community, a shift in disease prevalence is occurring toward a growing burden of non-communicable illness and injury. Within this context, it is increasingly important to recognize that surgically treatable disease encompasses a significant volume of the total global burden of disease.
Consequently, the impetus exists to accurately assess and quantify the basic resources required for safe surgery and anaesthesia in resource poor settings (low and middle income countries LMICs). The provision of timely and quality surgical services remains a persistent challenge both locally and globally. Disparities in access to and provision of surgical care are derived from a complex combination of patient, social and institutional factors.
There is ongoing need for original research in the field of global surgery, with the eventual goal of bridging disparity gaps and creating minimum standards and basic safety models when providing surgical care worldwide. Ultimately, there should be an ongoing effort for global surgery delivery based on best practices and patient focused care, regardless of variable economic status among nations.
Potential topics include, but are not limited to:
- Quantification and analysis of anaesthesia, surgical needs and capacity in LMICs
- Efforts at reducing surgical morbidity and mortality and improving patient safety in LMICs
- Economic analysis of providing surgical services in LMICs
- Prioritization of safe surgery and anaesthesia as a basic tenet of global healthcare delivery
- Evaluation of mobile technologies aimed at facilitating delivery of surgical services in LMICs
- Description of innovative, clinical and educational programs to serve LMICs
The Collection will also consider so-called ‘negative result’ studies.
All manuscripts are subject to peer review for quality and suitability of publication in the SpringerPlus Collection.
If your manuscript meets the aims and scope of this individual Collection, please first follow all of the SpringerPlus Submission Guidelines.
During submission, at the "Additional Information" section, please select that you are submitting to an Article Collection, and choose “Advancing Global Surgery” from the list.