Sustainable education is a quality education considering humanity. As we strive to develop smart learning environments, we also need to reflect appropriately on the impact of social change on education. How to provide fair and explainable analysis results to gain learners’ and teachers’ trust? How to guide them to meet challenges from both technical and organizational aspects? How to consider technological development with social value and human factors?
The challenge for smart learning environments is incorporating educational and social changes into the design from the outset, including educating all stakeholders and providing the appropriate training. To develop the most helpful strategies for stakeholders from different perspectives, such as the content, methods, tools, systems, and training platforms. From the viewpoints of fairness, equality, diversity, inclusion, explainable, trustworthiness, and resilience, we work toward sustainable education.
Topics of interest for this special issue include, but are not limited to the following:
• Explainable AI in smart learning
• Trustworthy and responsible AI in smart learning
• Generative AI in smart learning
• Intelligent tutoring systems in smart learning
• Conversational robots in smart learning
• Differentiation and individualization in smart learning
• Intelligent assessment and evaluation in smart learning
• Data science for supporting AI in sustainable education
• Ethics of AI in sustainable education
• Fairness and equality of AI in sustainable education
• Diversity and inclusion of AI in sustainable education
• Accountability and governance of AI in sustainable education
• The future smart learning environment in the Digital Age